The State Archive of the Canton of Bern curates archival materials that are worth preserving as records of the history of the Canton of Bern from the Middle Ages to the present day. Find out more about its holdings here.
The State Archive preserves the archival records of the former City State of Bern (up to 1798), the Helvetian cantons of Bern and Oberland (1798-1803) and the records of the Bernese cantonal administration from 1803 to the present day.
In addition to these government records, the Archive also holds material from private sources (personal bequests, family archives, archives from associations and companies, etc.) and has a comprehensive specialist library.
- Analogue and digital archival materialsWhat forms of archival materials does the State Archive store? Here you can find out more about our holdings.
- Audio-visual holdingsPhotographs, postcards, plans – the State Archive and its wide variety of graphical material.
- LibraryThe State Archive has a specialised library with Bernensia.
- Private archivesDiscover our personal bequests, family archives, and club, association and company archives.
- Transferred holdingsFiles from the former Bernese territories
- FAQsFrequently asked questions